What's New Our Comics Site Tour Sign Up

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

City of Heroes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> JusticeBabes Forum -> JusticeBabes.com Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: City of Heroes Reply with quote

Has anyone here tried this game out, now that it's released? It's been getting great reviews, but I don't know how it compares to some of the fantasy worlds out there. I've played Ultima Online and Everquest, but have been holding out for World of Warcraft. COH looks kind of cool to hold me over until WOW is released, but I'm not sure...

-Jeff

JusticeBabes.com Support Staff
HSHP

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

Sorry. Don't feel like paying for graphics just to get PKed repeatedly when I can get the same thing on my text based MUD *AND* actually get roleplay.
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Me too. Reply with quote

I am curious to know if it's any good. Also waiting for WoW myself.....

I can't imagine COH to be that great for long. Especially with everybody wanting to be SuperHero. Imagine 100,000 others wanting to be a hero. Can there be enough quests/missions or things to do?

It's like everybody wanting to be a JediKnight.... So they had to add in mundane things to do- like weave baskets in order for you to level up.

It looks and sounds cool but the longevity is still questionable. I thought Earth and Beyond (EOB) was great- but that folded recently.. Just when I thought about rejoining to play it.

http://www.eadultcomics.com/ - for the best in online erotic adult comics
http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
HSHP

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

I thought I heard that one of the drawbacks to CoH was that you COULDN'T play a villian. Kind of hope that's changed in an expansion pack, even if I still won't play it.
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Stuff to do Reply with quote

In Ultima and Everquest, I liked to explore the world and aquire cool stuff for my characters. You could see all the peacocks sitting next to the bank, showing off neon hair, or high-level items, tamed dragons, etc - stuff that showed you had advanced in the game. City of Heroes doesn't have character inventory, and once you make your appearance, I don't think you can change it. With the main focus on fighting, and no economy or secondary skills like crafting, and no items (except for "Power-Ups"), I don't see ho it could be interesting for all that long.

World of Warcraft will give experience for exploring, I've heard, and there's a lot to do besides fighting. With the Alliance and the Hoarde, you've got both sides of alingment to play, also. There's also Everquest 2 and Ultima-X on the horizon, but I think I'll wait on WOW.

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: YUP YUP Reply with quote

I noticed all of the stuff you said from their website COH.com

It didn't mention that you can be a Villian and it's all geared at being a hero with the "contact lists". And the only items you have are the powerups related to your character sats...

In someways- this game reminds me of Diablo2 skill sets without the items collecting.

It said the contacts act as a "shop". And some of the heroes have powers that are gadget/invention based. But it doesn't mention the options for heroes to make them? Or am I missing something...

One thing I did see that seemed like they're trying to make the game interesting to hold people's attention with the element of "Rite of Passage (this is what I call it from my online programming massive multiplayer days in a MMORPG at Kesmai Studios)" was the idea of sidekicks.... You advance in the games so far along and then the new thing you could be doing is helping others- take on sidekicks and train them... but the problem is who wants to be a sidekick? Also the idea of forming a team/clan is good.. Which was something players have always wanted for Diablo2..

It's a good distraction game... but I'm not sure how long it will keep people going- before they run out of things to do or lose interests once they know how "limited" the game is. I think this was the reason why I stopped playing Diablo2. The novelty wore off.

http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
animguy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: COH Reply with quote

Not sure how much long term addiction COH has but I have been playing it for about 3 weeks (beta was open to people who bought the presale box). You have a good range of powers to choose from and you can design pretty much any look for the hero.
There is no PVP at this time but there is talk of adding a City of Villians or an arena where you can challenge other heros.
There is a good number of missions and story arcs that you pick up from your contact but they are mainly go here and defeat this group or hunt down X number of Y group on the streets. The best missions are from when you get a group to form a Task Force where you have a series of missions that culminate in fighting one of the cities major villians.

There are plenty of random mobs for those who just want to kill (read arrest) and the one thing they did to keep the interest held longer is there are specific areas of the city that are locked to lower levels so you get to see new areas/foes as you raise your security level.
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Okay, I'm in Reply with quote

Well, I took the plunge and bought City of Heroes. I've seen nothing but rave reviews, so I had to try it for myself. I rolled up a quick Blaster called Lil' Red Devil, and in no time she was throwing fireballs at Contaminated Thugs. I could have spent hours going through all the character creation options, and it was really fun looking at all the characters other people had come up with. Every one I saw was unique.

I don't know how long it can hold my interest, but I could see spending a few months with this. If you like comics, this is a natural step in the progresion of the medium. Printed sales may go down, but now you can actually run around and BE the hero. I've only scratched the surface with what's in the game, but it could be a lot of fun. Visuals are great and the mechanics of gameplay are a breeze!

If anyone wants top team up, we'll have to pick a server to meet up on. They all had one green light on, so I chose the one at the top (forget the name). Give me a holler to kick some evil ass!

-Jeff
jeff@battlechix.com
Yahoo Messenger - tempusfugit9
ICQ 139841542

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Server Reply with quote

The server I'm on at the moment is Protector. If anyone has characters on a different one, I can build some on those, too!

-Jeff

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Different Server Reply with quote

I've moved over to the server called Virtue, as it's more populated, and I know a few people there. I'm playing a seven-foot tall redhead called Lil' Red Devil - can't miss her!

-Jeff

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: The reviews are right Reply with quote

Okay, I was unsure of how they would be able to pull off a massive multi-player world of superheroes - but they have proven that it can be done. I am now addicted. I stayed up past 2am last night playing this game, trying to get new powers and enhancements. What was the kicker was when I got hover (the lesser form of flight). After running through the streets, being able to glide over the rooftops and rain destruction down on evil-doers is just the bomb. And I've still only scratched the surface on what's out there - I haven't even been to the more dangerous zones in the city yet.

If you've ever read a comic and wanted to be a super-hero, this game is about the closest you could come!

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Graphics Reply with quote

How is the In-Game graphics for the chicks... The screen shots looks funky... I've seen some hotties here and there. Tempted to get it.

-R

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Game Graphics Reply with quote

The girl models in the game are pretty good. I always play female characters, because if I have to spend hours and hours looking at the back of a virtual player, I'd rather she have a nice ass. Smile It's an all audience game, so the costumes don't get *too* carried away, but there's some skimpy outfits for the females. The level of detail is pretty awesome after playing Everquest and Ultima. This is hands-down the best character creation in a game out there - with so many customizable pieces, you can easily spend and hour or two just making a hero. The learning curve was nothing. A few minutes after stepping into the world, I was moving around like a pro. There's a brief tutorial area that covers all the basics.

I was thinking the game would be a hold-over until World of Warcraft comes out, but now I don't know. If it stays this much fun, and continues to challenge me at higher levels, I may have to keep playing! I haven't been this impressed with a game in a lng time. I thought Freedom Force did a very good job with bringing the comics feel to a computer game, but this one really raises the bar a few notches. It's not done campy, but really stays true to the feel of traditional comics. It's got a good storyline underneath it all, and works for individual and group gameplay. There's no player vs player at this time, either, as there are plenty of evil-doers to fight.

-Jeff

animguy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Holding interest Reply with quote

Well I usually lose interest in these games fqirly quickly -EQ, SWG, and originally UO couldn't keep me moore than a month or two. Well I've been in COH beta and now two weeks of release and I cant see quitting anytime soon. I have two heroes at or near 15 and can't wait to get them higher.

Jeff,
I'm alson on Virtue, look up Dark Dweller or Arctic Wolf
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Might have to join in Reply with quote

I'll see about getting a copy and try it out..... It's all research purpose of course. Smile
A friend of mine is wanting to try it out too if I got in on it.

Maybe we can form a league. JB Team... Could be fun.

-R

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Evil Beware! Reply with quote

Cool! I'll add those names to my friends list. My character is called Lil' Red Devil.

She's at 8th level, and currently in Perez Park. My contact sent me in there after the Circle of Thorns, but almost everything I've seen so far can kick my butt, so I've stayed a good bit off the ground with hover. I may have to go get a few more levels before I come back. Most of the folks I see in Perez Park are travelling in groups!

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Just got the game Reply with quote

Went to the store today and bought the game.... $50! geesh... Haven't installed it yet- but gonna do it soon...

Need to knock out an eadultgames update before playing... all work and noplay.. i'm a dull man....

Does the game come with a free month subscription or do you have to pay a subscription in addition to the box... I couldn't find that info on the box...

-R

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: First month free Reply with quote

Yeah, first month of play included!

I started last Thursday, and I've got a Fire Blaster at level 10. Highly addictive! Let me know what your character name is, and I'll add you to my friends list. If you're on the same server, it's easy to tell when buddies are online and where they are.

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: servers Reply with quote

Do the characters get imported back and forth on various servers? I know in alot of multiplayer games your characters/profiles are only locked down to one gamesever. (EastCoast/WestCoast, etc)

I guess when I start playing I'll pick the first server too. Hopefully it will be green lights for me too.

-R

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Servers Reply with quote

No, you can't cross servers. Virtue is the one I'm on right now.

-Jeff

Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: argh Reply with quote

I have to get a GeForceCard... apparently it doesn't like my matrox card.

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Video Card Reply with quote

Oh man, that sucks. I've got a GeForce in my machine, so I didn't know there was a problem with other cards. No updated drivers available for it that will help?

I got into a large group last night and went hunting in Perez Park. Tackled a few swamp creatures that looked like Man-Thing that were way above what I could fight by myself. I got knocked out a few times, which gave me a bit of an XP debt to pay off, but I made a lot more than I would have on my own and made some new friends. There's almost always folks there waiting around to join a team so you can go after the large groups. I had fun "pulling" villains by flying over the park, throwing a fireball into a group of bad guys and getting them to chase me back to the entrance, where all the heroes standing around would obliterate them.

-Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> JusticeBabes Forum -> JusticeBabes.com Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: