What's New Our Comics Site Tour Sign Up

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

New Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> JusticeBabes Forum -> JusticeBabes.com Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: New Style Reply with quote

I've started doing some artwork in a slightly different style the past few days, and I'm really liking it. I've used a toon-shader on the same 3D models we've been using, which renders them in a bit more artsy way. I then apply some line art filters in Photoshop, and the results have been surprisingly close to traditional comic book art. I'm excited by the possiblities, and while we're not going to be using this format exclusively from now on, I may try a full comic with this method. It's a much-needed boost of something fresh to me, as it's not just more of the same thing, and doesn't look like every other 3D comic on the net. I came up as an inker for Malibu Comics and The Tick way back when, so I really enjoy seeing something that looks and feels like old school comics.

Hope you guys dig it. Very Happy

Here's a little tease of a sample page in progress -

-Jeff

JusticeBabes.com Support Staff
Benjamin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Well, I waited until more pages have come out before deciding. If you need something, "fresh" Jeff, then I guess this will help, as it is unlike other comics. I wish you success with it, though I am not excited about the new style yet, I must be honest. Perhaps it will grow on me? Does this mean you will not be making any of the pictures we have come to long for anymore?

How long does it take to make one picture from start to finish?

What is the biggest problem to overcome? The creativity of "new?"

What advantages & disadvantages do you foresee the new site combination will have?

What are you doing besides JB & BC these days? Is this still your full time job or are you doing commercial work as well?

Is there a possibility of putting the BC girls into the poker game, and maybe update the JB ones too?

Thanks!
Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I waited until more pages have come out before deciding. If you need something, "fresh" Jeff, then I guess this will help, as it is unlike other comics. I wish you success with it, though I am not excited about the new style yet, I must be honest. Perhaps it will grow on me? Does this mean you will not be making any of the pictures we have come to long for anymore?

There will always be standard, realistic renders of the characters as well. Sometimes we go down new roads in an effort to shake things up a bit and show members something new. If it’s good, we’ll run with it, if not – it’s just an interesting footnote.

Quote:
How long does it take to make one picture from start to finish?

Depends on how much is in the scene. Backgrounds and set-up take a while, and sometimes renders are too ambitious, and the sorftware can’t handle scenes that are too complex, so they have to be broken into parts and composited together later.

Quote:
What is the biggest problem to overcome? The creativity of "new?"

For me, as an artist, I’m always looking for something to keep things fresh and interesting for me. Just doing the same thing all the time gets a bit stagnant, and adult material tends to not be too much of a stretch as far as stories go. My first love was comic art way before the 3D artwork, so I’m very excited about keeping with my traditional roots. I want to make pages that people look at and say, “Cool artwork,” instead of, “cool 3D artwork.”

Quote:
What advantages & disadvantages do you foresee the new site combination will have?

We’re not spreading ourselves too thin creatively, and I can focus on doing art for one site now, instead of two. I’m not switching gears so much anymore, and can hopefully maintain my focus better.

Quote:
What are you doing besides JB & BC these days? Is this still your full time job or are you doing commercial work as well?

I have a full time job, as well as a family.

Quote:
Is there a possibility of putting the BC girls into the poker game, and maybe update the JB ones too?

Yes, the Battlechix girls are now essential Justice Babes, so they can and will be appearing alongside the originals.

Jeff
Head Pixelgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's another tease, this time in color -

Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> JusticeBabes Forum -> JusticeBabes.com Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: